In this edition of the Roundtable, host Tim Cavey connects with educators who are passionate about improving the shape of professional learning: Mark Ryan, Vince Bustamante, Min Suh, Kate Stevens, and Jeffery Frieden. We discuss best practices for most powerful professional learning, asynchronous tools, how to capture in-house expertise, gamification, and more.
Select any of the timestamps listed below to jump to specific portions of the discussion. ⬇️
Questions and Timestamps from This Conversation
- 0:26 – Meeting the panel: who are you and what is your CURRENT CONTEXT in education?
- 2:11 – What was one feature of some of the BEST professional development that you’ve experienced?
- 7:01 – “This meeting could have been an email.” What are some ASYNCHRONOUS tools and strategies that might make professional learning more efficient and valuable?
- 14:41 – How can asynchronous tools also redefine FACULTY MEETING TIMES in order to do less administrivia and more professional learning?
- 23:31 – Does GAMIFICATION belong in professional development? Can points, badges, or competitions improve engagement, motivation, or learning for professionals?
- 33:57 – How can schools and districts to a better job of leveraging IN-HOUSE expertise and resources? What can this look like?
- 50:31 – What is one PROJECT that you’re working on right now?
- 55:15 – What are the best ways to CONNECT and continue to learn with you?
Connect with These Inspiring Education Leaders on Twitter
- Mark Ryan @RunEducator
- Vince Bustamante @VinceBusta
- Mina Suh @MinaYaoong
- Kate Stevens @KateTeaching
- Jeffery Frieden @SurthrivEDU
Listen to the Audio-Only Podcast Episode on Spotify
Catch the Next Teachers on Fire Roundtable LIVE
As of this post, I’m still appearing weekly on YouTube, Facebook, and Twitter at 8:00 a.m. Pacific/11:00 a.m. Eastern. I’d love to see you join us and would be happy to feature your questions and comments on the show!
Connect with Teachers on Fire
- On Clubhouse @TeachersOnFire
- On Facebook at the Teachers on Fire Group
- On Instagram @TeachersOnFire
- On LinkedIn at Tim Cavey
- On Medium at the Teachers on Fire Magazine
- On TikTok @TeachersOnFire
- On Twitch at the Teachers on Fire channel
- On Twitter @TeachersOnFire
- On Voxer @TeachersOnFire
- On the Website – Home of Teachers on Fire
- On YouTube at the Teachers on Fire channel