In this edition of the Roundtable, Tim Cavey hosts a rich discussion of instructional coaching in the classroom: why, wins, challenges, and strategies for implementation. Guests included Victoria Thompson, Darryl Deboer, Dr. Dan Kreiness, Kathy Perret, and Dr. Rachel Johnson.
Questions That Guided Our Conversation
- 1:00 – Who are you, and what does your current coaching context look like?
- 13:23 – Why should schools and districts invest in instructional coaching?
- 20:35 – What are some of the biggest wins you’ve seen for teachers and learners that have come as a result of coaching work? Have you got a story to share?
- 30:12 – In your mind, what are the most difficult challenges in this space? What can coaches do proactively to solve them?
- 42:04 – What advice would you offer to a school or district looking to build a coaching program?
- 54:16 – Who are the authors or voices that you’ve learned from in the coaching space?
- 59:03 – How can we connect and keep learning with you?
Connect with These Instructional Coaches, Leaders, and Mentors on Twitter
- 🔥 Kathy Perret @KathyPerret
- 🔥 Darryl Deboer @DarrylDeboer
- 🔥 Dr. Rachel R. Johnson @Dr_R_Johnson
- 🔥 Victoria Thompson @VictoriaTheTech
- 🔥 Dr. Dan Kreiness @dkreiness
Instructional Coaching Resources Recommended by the Panelists
- Google for Education Certified Coach Program
- #GoogleEC Open Chat (link directs to a Google Site hosted by GEG Global)
- Courageous Edventures: Navigating Obstacles to Discover Classroom Innovation by Jennie Magiera
- The #EDUcoach chat on Twitter Wednesday at 8:00 pm Central. Archives can be explored here.
- Several amazing coaching books by Jim Knight (link directs to his books on Amazon)
- Coaching Redefined: A Guide to Leading Meaningful Instructional Growth by Sherry St. Clair
- The EduCoach Survival Guide by Lindsay Deacon, Angela Scotto Harkness
- A Quick Guide to Video Coaching by Dr. Casey Kosiorek, Jim Thompson
- Literacy Coaching: Transforming Teaching and Learning with Digital Tools and Technology by Stephanie Affinito
- The International Institute for Restorative Practices (IIRP) Graduate School
- Student-Centered Coaching: The Moves by Diane Sweeney, Leanna S. Harris
- The Art of Coaching: Effective Strategies for School Transformation by Elena Aguila
- Instructional Coaching: A Partnership Approach to Improving Instruction by Jim Knight
- The Coaching Habit: Say Less, Ask More & Change the Way You Lead Forever by Michael Bungay Stanier
- The Coach Approach to School Leadership: Leading Teachers to Higher Levels of Effectiveness by Jessica Johnson (Author), Shira Leibowitz (Author), Kathy Perrett (Author)
Catch the Next Teachers on Fire Roundtable LIVE
As of this post, I’m still appearing weekly on YouTube, Facebook, Twitter, LinkedIn, and Twitch at 8:00 a.m. Pacific Time/11:00 a.m. Eastern Time. I’d love to see you join us and would be happy to feature your questions and comments on the show!
Connect with the Teachers on Fire Podcast on Social Media
- On Twitter @TeachersOnFire
- On Instagram @TeachersOnFire
- On Facebook @TeachersOnFire
- On LinkedIn: www.linkedin.com/in/TimWCavey
- On Medium on The Teachers on Fire Magazine
- On YouTube @TeachersOnFire