DIANA WILLIAMS is an elementary teacher at Bayridge Elementary School in Surrey, BC, Canada. She is also a speaker, a consultant for her school district, a student of PBL, award winner, and constant innovator.
In our conversation, Diana speaks candidly about the challenges teachers face during labor disruptions and shares some frank advice for up-and-coming teachers. She talks about some of the initiatives that really excite her about education today, describes some key habits that contribute to her success, and offers some awesome recommendations regarding books to read, Twitter personalities to follow, YouTube channels to subscribe to, and more.
Follow Diana on Twitter @TeacherDiana1 and on her blog at teacherdiana.com.
In this episode, Diana discusses …
- 0:52 – her current teaching situation
- 1:57 – the challenges of labor disruptions and some advice for teachers preparing for similar situations
- 4:25 – what ignites her passion for education today: new curricular core competencies in BC, First People’s principles in education, Classroom Champions, Kiva.org
- 12:57– another area of passion and learning: Orange Theory Fitness
- 16:47 – personal habits that contribute to her success: positive mindset and self-talk, family time, sleep, and saying no
- 19:35 – two Twitter accounts to follow: Bill Ferriter (@plugusin) and Lindsay James (@SD36MSJames)
- 22:18 – her edtech tool recommendations: Prodigy, Google Docs, Paper 53, Canva
- 23:57 – two book recommendations: Science Notebooks: Writing About Inquiry (by Lori Fulton and Brian Campbell)
- 25:59 – a podcast recommendation: FitUntd (Fit United by Kevin Green) and Truth for Teachers (by Angela Watson)
- 28:30 – three musical YouTube channel recommendations: Peter Bence, Joachim Horsley, and Acapella Science
- 30:11 – her favorite relaxation video content: American Ninja Warriors, TED Talks
- 31:21 – the best ways to follow her (as listed above)
Song Track Credits
Intro: Relax (by Simon More)
Outtro: Starley – Call on Me Remix (by DJ Zhorik)
LISTEN to this episode on YouTube and SUBSCRIBE for more episodes!