Bryon Carpenter is a high school teacher at the Abbotsford Virtual School in Abbotsford, BC, Canada. As a trained scientist, passionate creator, and lifelong learner, Bryon serves in the spaces of library, math, science, and ADST (Applied Design and Skills Technologies).
Bryon’s passion? Seeing teachers utilize new technologies to advance student learning and help them represent their learning in new and creative ways. Outside of education, Bryon is passionate about fishing and woodworking, and he credits daily journaling as a key to his personal and professional success. Bryon also points us toward a Twitter account to follow, a podcast to check out, a title to add to our book lists, and much more.
Find the highlights from our conversation at the timestamps below.
- 0:48 – Bryon describes his current context in education at the Abbotsford Virtual School.
- 2:04 – He shares about the practical challenges he faced around contract uncertainty early in his career.
- 10:20 – What really excites him about education today: seeing teachers help students learn and represent their learning in new ways using technology.
- 16:16 – His personal passions and learning outside of the classroom: fishing and woodworking.
- 20:02 – A regular habit that contributes to his success: daily journaling about his learning and teaching. He posted vlog entries for all 195 days of teaching last school year!
- 24:45 – An account to follow on Twitter: @EricCurts of CtrlAltAchieve.com
- 26:27 – Bryon’s edtech tool recommendations: Google Keep & Adobe Spark (@AdobeSpark)
- 29:04 – A book every educator must read: The Innovator’s Mindset by George Couros (@GCouros)
- 30:34 – A podcast to subscribe to: This Week in Google (by @TWiT)
- 33:07 – Bryon’s YouTube channel recommendations: This Week in Google & Sport Fishing on the Fly (@OntheFlyTVShows)
- 33:56 – What Bryon’s been enjoying on Netflix: Downton Abbey, The Last King, Frontiers, Riverdale, Tales by Light
- 35:46 – The best ways to follow Bryon’s content: on Twitter @BryonCar, on Instagram @Bryon.Carpenter, and on the web at http://bryoncarpenter.com/.
FOLLOW Teachers on Fire on Twitter: @TeachersOnFire
Song Track Credits
- Intro: Relax (by Simon More)
- Outtro: Starley – Call on Me Remix (by DJ Zhorik)
LISTEN to this episode on YouTube and SUBSCRIBE for more episodes!