Soney Day is a 2nd grade teacher at Coy Miller Elementary School in Frisco, TX. She describes herself as a teacher, mom, tech integrator, proud Texan, and Seesaw ambassador. Soney enjoys advocating for young learners and strives to have an innovator’s mindset.
In our conversation, Soney shares about an emotionally draining challenge she faced in just her second year of teaching. Although it was nightmarish at the time, she calls it a learning experience today and mentors new teachers using some of the knowledge gained from that ordeal. Soney tells us why she’s such a big booster of social-emotional wellness for learners, and encourages teachers to pay more attention to education policy decisions and governance. Finally, she offers some great recommendations for Twitter accounts to follow, books to read, and more.
Follow Soney on Twitter @DaysMrs.
TIMESTAMPS. In this episode, Soney discusses …
- 0:52 – her current teaching situation in Frisco, TX
- 1:46 – a nightmarish experience she survived in her second year of teaching, and some of the lessons she learned
- 6:11 – what really ignites her passion for education: social-emotional learning, relationship-building, the links between emotional wellness and learning
- 10:39 – another area of personal passion and learning: parenting
- 12:31 – a personal habit that has broadened her perspective and interest in education: attending school board meetings, keeping up with policy decisions
- 14:27 – Twitter personalities she recommends following: Todd Nesloney (@TechNinjaTodd), Aaron Hogan (@Aaron_Hogan), Alice Keeler (@AliceKeeler), Kasey Bell (@ShakeUpLearning), and George Couros (@GCouros)
- 15:46 – an edtech tool that just keeps improving and making her practice better: Seesaw (@Seesaw)
- 18:06 – her top book recommendations: The Innovator’s Mindset (by @GCouros), Lead Like a Pirate (by @Burgess_Shelley and @BethHouf), Shake Up Learning (by @ShakeUpLearning), and Culturize (by @Casas_Jimmy)
- 19:43 – her podcast picks: Ditch That Textbook (@DitchThatTxtbk), Google Teacher Tribe (@GTeacherTribe), Kids Deserve It (@KidsDeserveIt), and The Innovator’s Mindset (by @GCouros)
- 21:28 – the Netflix show she recommends for starting difficult but important conversations around mental health: 13 Reasons Why
- 24:55 – the best way to follow her online: on Twitter @DaysMrs
Song Track Credits
Intro: Relax (by Simon More)
Outtro: Starley – Call on Me Remix (by DJ Zhorik)
LISTEN to this episode on YouTube and SUBSCRIBE for more episodes!