Jeff Gargas is the COO/Co-founder of Progressive Mastery Learning and The Teach Better Team. Jeff works with teachers across the United States to help them improve their practice and “reach the unreachable student.”
An entrepreneur at heart, Jeff shares about the challenges of hitting walls in the music industry and the educational training space. He shares how he redefined his mission, finding strength in gratitude and the knowledge that as long as he was doing the right thing for learners, the rest would follow. Today, Jeff loves nothing better than to see teachers learn, grow, and take risks to improve their practice. In our conversation, he points to an app that reliably corrects his mindset, recommends some great Twitter accounts to follow, and more.
Find the highlights from our conversation at the timestamps below.
- 1:11 – Jeff’s context in education: educational consultant and teacher of teachers via Progressive Mastery Learning and TeachBetter.com
- 2:29 – He shares about personally challenging moments in the music industry and educational training space, and how he was able to work through them
- 11:10 – Why he’s passionate about education today: seeing teachers who are excited and dedicated to improvement, including the educators who participate in #MasteryChat on Thursdays at 8pm EST
- 16:41 – A personal habit that contributes to his success: The 5-Minute Journal app
- 20:22 – Two accounts to follow on Twitter: @RaeHughart and @TechieTeachOtt
- 21:34 – His edtech recommendation for educators: leveraging social media platforms to build PLNs – and why this opportunity is significant
- 24:28 – Two book recommendations: The Go-Giver by Bob Burg (@BobBurg) & John David Mann (@JohnDavidMann) and Be Real: Educate From the Heart by Tara Martin (@TaraMartinEDU)
- 26:11 – Jeff’s podcast recommendation: Teach Me, Teacher with Jacob Chastain (@JacobChastain_)
- 28:44 – His YouTube recommendation: Amy Landino (by @Schmittastic)
- 30:06 – What he’s watching on Netflix: Blue Bloods & Luke Cage
- 30:47 – The best ways to connect with Jeff online: on Twitter @JeffGargas and @TheGridMethod, on Instagram @_JeffGargas, and on the web at TeachBetter.com and TeachBetterAcademy.com.
FOLLOW Teachers on Fire on Twitter: @TeachersOnFire
Song Track Credits
- Intro: Relax (by Simon More)
- Outtro: Starley – Call on Me Remix (by DJ Zhorik)
LISTEN to this episode on YouTube and SUBSCRIBE for more episodes!