Who is Andrea Ferrero, and what is Pockets Change?
ANDREA FERRERO brings over a decade of experience in teaching and learning, curriculum and program development, and community capacity building together to design award winning educational programs and digital products. She holds a teaching credential in PreK-12th grade multiple subjects and two Master’s degrees in Educational Leadership and Curriculum & Instruction with Multicultural Contexts.
At Pockets Change, Andrea works with schools, organizations, and businesses to make finance fun through innovative educational approaches and meaningful ed-tech tools. She has served as a delegate to the World Innovation Summit in Qatar, the ASCD Supervision and Curriculum Development Delegation in China, the Multi-Age Learning Institute in New Zealand, and the Mozilla Open Leaders in England. Andrea is also a board member of the California Jump$tart Coalition.
⭐️ Use the timestamps below to jump to specific parts of this conversation in YouTube. ⬇️
- 3:12 – It’s story time! Please share with us about a LOW MOMENT or an experience of adversity that you’ve faced in your teaching or education career, and describe how you overcame it.
- 5:41 – As I mentioned off the top, you are the co-founder and executive director of POCKETS CHANGE. What is the mission and vision of your organization? How do you seek to serve schools and learners?
- 7:52 – I’d like to focus in especially on this whole area of FINANCIAL LITERACY. Why do you think this is such a critical concern for our students today? What do you see as some of the most serious gaps in our typical high school education?
- 12:39 – Does Pockets Change offer any ENTREPRENEURSHIP workshops or practical opportunities for small business training?
- 14:21 – Outside of education, what’s another area of LEARNING for you? What is it that ignites your passions outside of the classroom and brings you alive as a human being? Tell us why this area interests you and why you enjoy it.
- 15:44 – Share about one app, personal habit, PRODUCTIVITY hack that contributes to your success.
Voices and Resources That Spark Andrea’s Thinking
- On Twitter: @ClearTheAirEDU
- EdTech Tools: Meister Task + Google Slides
- Book Picks: The Fix: Overcome the Invisible Barriers That Are Holding Women Back at Work by Michelle P. King + Empower: What Happens When Student Own Their Learning by John Spencer and AJ Juliani
- In Podcasts: Brunch and Budget
- On YouTube: The Graham Norton Show
- On Netflix: Michael Che Matters + The Comedy Lineup
- On Twitter @PocketsChange
- On Instagram @PocketsChange
- On Facebook at Pockets Change
- On her website at https://www.pocketschange.com/
Connect with Teachers on Fire
- On Clubhouse @TeachersOnFire
- On Facebook at the Teachers on Fire Group
- On Instagram @TeachersOnFire
- On LinkedIn at Tim Cavey
- On Medium at the Teachers on Fire Magazine
- On TikTok @TeachersOnFire
- On Twitch at the Teachers on Fire channel
- On Twitter @TeachersOnFire
- On Voxer @TeachersOnFire
- On the Website – Home of Teachers on Fire
- On YouTube at the Teachers on Fire channel
Subscribe to the Teachers on Fire podcast on your mobile device
- On Apple Podcasts: https://apple.co/2ozOTRb
- On Google Podcasts: https://goo.gl/iA6swC
- On Anchor: https://anchor.fm/teachersonfire
- On Spotify: https://spoti.fi/2QkF2KW
Song Track Credits
- Intro: Easy (by Mike Cosmo – license purchased at https://taketones.com
- Outtro: Bluntedsesh4 – by Tha Silent Partner, courtesy of FreeMusicArchive.org