BOBBY McCUTCHEON is the principal of Randall Elementary School in Independence, MO. He’s a husband, father, #GeniusHour advocate, travel junkie, Royals fan, and occasional political expert.
After teaching for several years at the middle and high school levels, Bobby was offered the position of elementary principal and has never looked back. He points to a decision to transform his diet and fitness three years as a turning point in what has become an exciting journey of growth. Today, Bobby is passionate about building a positive culture at Randall and promoting creativity in his students through Genius Hour. You won’t want to miss his remarkable story about a struggling student who dove deep into learning about K-9 police dogs. His learning took him to places he’d never imagined, and he was able to share that journey with the entire school community.
TIMESTAMPS. In this episode, Bobby discusses …
- 0:53 – his current context as principal at Randall Elementary School
- 1:34 – the challenges associated with students who are dealing with trauma, and the positive community culture required to create safe spaces
- 4:11 – what really ignites his passion for education today: teachers who think outside the box, students who explore their creativity through Genius Hour
- 8:14 – other areas of passion and learning: sports, history, and politics
- 11:40 – personal habits that have transformed his mental and physical health in three years: regular workouts and an improved diet
- 15:21 – an education leader to follow on Twitter: Adam Welcome (@MrAdamWelcome)
- 16:29 – an edtech tool that facilitates PLN participation: TweetDeck
- 18:08 – a book recommendation: Lead Like a Pirate by Shelley Burgess (@Burgess_Shelley) and Beth Houf (@BethHouf)
- 19:52 – a podcast recommendation: StartEDup with Don Wettrick (@DonWettrick)
- 20:59 – two Youtube channels to subscribe to: Message to a New & Aspiring Principal (by @PrincipalKefele) and Athlean X
- 22:11 – what he’s watching on Netflix these days: all the Marvel and Avengers movies
- 23:17 – the best ways to follow him online (see above)
Song Track Credits
Intro: Relax (by Simon More)
Outtro: Starley – Call on Me Remix (by DJ Zhorik)
LISTEN to this episode on YouTube and SUBSCRIBE for more episodes!