In this episode of the Teachers on Fire podcast we speak with Lynn Thomas. Lynn is the department head of English and Library and Digital Lead Learner at Dunnville Secondary School in Dunnville, Ontario, Canada.
In this conversation, Lynn shares candidly about a year of serious family health challenges, crediting the support of administrators that helped her work through this difficult time. She speaks with passion about the power of new technologies to facilitate collaborative learning across great distances, and describes how Project Kakuma is improving education in Kenya. Lynn also offers some solid recommendations for books to read, Twitter accounts to follow, and more.
In this episode, Lynn discusses …
- 0:58 – her current education situation
- 1:34 – a low point in her teaching career and how she overcame it
- 4:12 – what ignites her passions in education
- 6:36 – learning she enjoys outside of the classroom
- 7:34 – personal habits that contribute to her success
- 10:33 – accounts to follow on Twitter: Andrew Campbell (@ACampbell99) and Koen Timmers (@zelfstudie).
- 14:49 – her edtech tool recommendation: OneNote
- 16:21 – her book recommendations: The Innovator’s Mindset by George Couros and Teach Like a Pirate by Dave Burgess
- 18:39 – a podcast recommendation: Stephen Hurley on VoicED Radio
- 19:14 – a YouTube channel recommendation: TED Talks
- 20:07 – the best ways to follow her online (listed above)
Song Track Credits
Intro: Relax (by Simon More)
Outtro: Starley – Call on Me Remix (by DJ Zhorik)
LISTEN to this episode on YouTube and SUBSCRIBE for more episodes!