JOHN SOWASH is an educator, freelancer, presenter, husband, and dad. He is also the author of The Chromebook Classroom, which you can check out at http://chrmbook.com.
In this conversation, John describes how a dead end in his high school context launched him into the business of teaching teachers – a true passion. You’ll hear him explain why the Chromebook is so much more than just a web browser – it’s a creation tool as well. You’ll also hear about the personal habit that keeps him on track, some great edtech tools to consider using, and much more.
Check out The Chromebook Classroom on Amazon!
- TW: @JRSowash
- IG: @JRSowash
- FB: Chromebook Classroom
- YT: John R. Sowash
- WWW1: http://electriceducator.blogspot.com/
- WWW2: https://www.chrmbook.com/
- WWW3: https://www.geducator.com/
Find the highlights from our conversation at the timestamps below:
- 0:52 – John describes his education context and background: starting as a high school science teacher, leading a big edtech transition in his school, began sharing his learning in a blog, and today enjoys helping other educators.
- 3:32 – A very low moment: when John’s superintendent was suddenly fired, the project he was investing in was suddenly dropped. This dead end led him to venture out on his own, focusing on professional development resources for educators.
- 6:36 – What excites him about education today: the ongoing commitment of teachers.
- 9:24 – Speaking about his book, The Chromebook Classroom, John reminds teachers that Chromebooks are so much more than “just web browsers” – they’re creation devices, too.
- 13:26 – John shares about another passion outside of education: serial entrepreneurship. Some ventures crash and burn, while others work well. And there’s always more to learn.
- 15:12 – A personal habit that contributes to his personal and professional success is leveraging his email inbox as a reminder and task list.
- 18:17 – Twitter recommendation: @JakeMillerTech.
- 19:15 – John recommends two edtech tools worth using: Canva and Screencastify.
- 22:25 – Book recommendations: Start with Why by Simon Sinek and Ready Player One by Ernest Cline.
- 24:01 – John has a few favorite podcasts to share: the first is The Chromebook Classroom – a podcast series he produced as a way to share additional stories that couldn’t fit in his book, Reply All by Gimlet Media, Smart Passive Income by Pat Flynn, The Gary Vee Audio Experience by Gary Vee, and This Week in Google by TWiT.
- 26:17 – A YouTube channel to check out that isn’t strictly education-related but does demonstrate some incredible strategies worth trying on Google Sheets: Ben Collins.
- 29:16 – Although he doesn’t have much time for TV or movies, John’s latest pick on Netflix was Nailed It.
- 30:20 – We sign off on our conversation and John shares the best ways to follow him and receive more of his content online (see above).
Song Track Credits
- Intro: Relax (by Simon More)
- Outtro: Starley – Call on Me Remix (by DJ Zhorik)
Listen to this episode on YouTube and subscribe for more episodes!