Who is Mike Washburn?
MIKE WASHBURN is a Microsoft in Education expert, the Director of Engagement at @Participate, co-host of the fabulous @OnEducationPod, and the co-founder of the @OnPodcastMedia podcast network. When you visit Mike’s website you encounter this phrase: Passionately Educating, Constantly Learning – and that really summarizes Mike’s whole attitude and approach to education.
Questions, Topics, and YouTube Timestamps
- 7:40 – It’s story time! Please share with us about a low moment or an experience of adversity that you’ve faced in your teaching or education career, and describe how you overcame it.
- 16:39 – Congratulations on your new position at Participate! Can you talk about the mission and vision of Participate and describe your role in moving that forward?
- 23:05 – Another fun project that you’ve been working on lately is the official podcast for Minecraft Education. Tell us what you love about the Minecraft platform and the opportunities that it presents learners.
- 32:47 – One of the reasons I love OnEducation is that you and Glen don’t run your thoughts through any sort of political filter. You tell it like it is, and sometimes that means holding politicians, education companies, textbooks, or personalities to the fire. In the age of political correctness where just about the worst thing we can do is offend another person or educator, talk about the importance of bringing critical thinking to the education conversation.
- 38:53 – As you look across your PLN and your own practice, what else is setting you ON FIRE about education today?
- 41:24 – Where do you see professional learning moving and evolving in the years to come?
- 44:43 – Outside of education, what’s another area of learning for you? What is it that ignites your passions outside of the classroom and brings you alive as a human being? Tell us why this area interests you and why you enjoy it.
- 47:07 – Share about one personal habit or productivity hack that contributes to your success.
Voices and Resources That Spark Mike’s Thinking
- On Twitter: Glen Irvin @IrvSpanish and Steve Isaacs @Mr_Isaacs
- EdTech Tools: FlipGrid and Minecraft
- Book Pick: The Presidents Club: Inside the World’s Most Exclusive Fraternity by Nancy Gibbs and Michael Duffy
- Podcasts Picks: Five Thirty Eight, The Weeds, and The Ezra Klein Show
- YouTube Channel: Let’s Game It Out
- On Prime: Star Trek Picard
- On Twitter @MisterWashburn
- On Instagram @MisterWashburn
- On Facebook at OnEducation
- On Twitch at InsideParticipate
- At Mike’s website
Connect with Teachers on Fire
- On Clubhouse @TeachersOnFire
- On Facebook at the Teachers on Fire Group
- On Instagram @TeachersOnFire
- On LinkedIn at Tim Cavey
- On Medium at the Teachers on Fire Magazine
- On TikTok @TeachersOnFire
- On Twitch at the Teachers on Fire channel
- On Twitter @TeachersOnFire
- On Voxer @TeachersOnFire
- On the Website – Home of Teachers on Fire
- On YouTube at the Teachers on Fire channel
Subscribe to the Teachers on Fire podcast on your mobile device
- On Apple Podcasts – https://apple.co/2ozOTRb
- On Google Podcasts – https://goo.gl/iA6swC
- On Anchor – https://anchor.fm/teachersonfire
- On Spotify – https://spoti.fi/2QkF2KW
Song Track Credits
- Sunrise Drive by South London Hifi*
- Anthem by The Grand Affair*
- Roots of Legend by Density & Time
- Memory Rain by Yung Logos
- *tracks courtesy of the YouTube Audio Library