LISTEN to this episode on iTunes and SUBSCRIBE to the podcast!
In this episode of the Teachers on Fire podcast we speak with Antonio Vendramin. Antonio is the District Principal of Communicating Student Learning in the Surrey School District of BC, Canada.
In this conversation, Antonio discusses the exciting opportunities made possible by the recent shift toward a competency-based curriculum in British Columbia. He describes the power of good digital storytelling, and explains how the habit of running has transformed his mental and physical health in recent years. He also shares a number of great recommendations for books to read, edtech tools to consider using in the classroom, hashtags to follow on Twitter, and more.
Some highlights and takeaways from this interview:
- Whatever your passion is, spend a lot of time living there because that passion will rub off on your students.
- The most successful learners are the ones who know how to learn.
- At the end of the day our job is not to teach curricular content. Our job is to teach children and build the competencies that we know they will need today and in the future.
- Transformative uses of technology do not include using technology to replicate things that could be done without technology. Transformative technology creates unique learning experiences that could not happen without technology.
Follow Antonio on Twitter @Vendram1n and visit his blog at https://abvendramin.com/.
In this episode, Antonio discusses …
- 1:07 – his current context in education
- 2:50 – a challenging year he experienced early in his teaching career
- 6:38 – why he’s excited about the new BC curriculum
- 9:14 – an area of passion and learning: digital storytelling
- 11:14 – a personal habit that contributes to his success: running
- 13:52 – hashtags he recommends following on Twitter (#SD36 and #SD36Learn)
- 16:08 – edtech tools to consider using in your teaching practice (Skype or other video conferencing applications)
- 18:40 – book recommendations: The Invisible Classroom by Kirke Olson, Mindset by Carol Dweck, and The Four Agreements by Don Miguel Ruiz
- 21:05 – a podcast recommendation: Radiolab
- 22:05 – a YouTube channel recommendation: Poke My Heart
- 23:22 – what he’s currently watching on Netflix: Riverdale, Peaky Blinders
- 25:04 – the best ways to follow him online: @Vendram1n and https://abvendramin.com/.
Song Track Credits
- Intro: Relax (by Simon More)
- Outtro: Starley – Call on Me Remix (by DJ Zhorik)
LISTEN to this episode on YouTube and SUBSCRIBE for more episodes!