LISTEN to this episode on iTunes and SUBSCRIBE to the podcast!
Danielle Peters is an elementary teacher at Westerman Elementary School in Surrey, BC, Canada. Recently completing her Master’s in Ed. Tech., Danielle is passionate about helping kids learn, create, and innovate using technology.
In our conversation, Danielle talks about how team teaching allows her to better meet the social-emotional needs of her learners and grow from her colleague’s perspectives each day. She describes how her third graders are using green screens and stop motion to make stories come alive, and explains how she combines her loves of book reading and photography to produce beautiful book reviews. Finally, Danielle gives us some great recommendations for books to read, Twitter accounts to follow, a YouTube channel to subscribe to, and more.
You’ll find more of Danielle’s content on these great platforms:
- TW: @DeeKellyP & @2TeachByDesign
- IG: @2TeachByDesign & @DeeBibliophilia
- Blogs: http://2teachbydesign.weebly.com/ and https://www.deebibliophilia.com/
In this episode, Danielle discusses …
- 0:56 – how she team teaches 42 3rd graders
- 2:58 – how team teaching helps her meet the social-emotional needs of her learners
- 5:07 – what lights her passion for education: the amazing possibilities for learning enabled by new technologies in the classroom
- 7:12 – a personal passion outside of the classroom: book reviews and photography
- 9:25 – the importance of building a strong network of educators, and the role of critical friends
- 11:52 – educators to follow on Twitter: Karen Fadum (@MrsFadum) and Curtis Wiebe (@DivisionW)
- 12:36 – what her students are currently creating: stop motion videos
- 13:47 – a book recommendation: Launch: Using Design Thinking to Boost Creativity and Bring Out the Maker in Every Student (by John Spencer and A J Juliani)
- 14:19 – podcasts to check out: Serial (a crime series) and TED Talks
- 14:51 – a great YouTube resource for the English classroom: Flocabulary
- 15:44 – what she’s watching on Netflix: Evil Genius and Black Mirror
- 16:23 – the best ways to follow her (see links above this section)
Song Track Credits
Intro: Relax (by Simon More)
Outtro: Starley – Call on Me Remix (by DJ Zhorik)
LISTEN to this episode on YouTube and SUBSCRIBE for more episodes!