KRISTIN HUNDT is a devoted wife and mother of four boys, a 6th grade teacher, lifelong learner, and global citizen.
In our conversation, Kristin talks about her passion to provide good reading materials for her readers. An engaged reader herself, she advocates for student voice and choice, genius hour, going gradeless, standards-based feedback, and revision of work. Other passions include project-based learning, the outdoor classroom, and the 40 book challenge. Kristin also shares some awesome recommendations for books to read, Twitter accounts to follow, and much more.
Kristin was recently featured in The PBL Playbook by AJ Juliani. Check out that title on Amazon: https://amzn.to/2noKqQM.
- TW: @KMHundt
- Blog 1: www.voicechoiceandpaperairplanes.com (education)
- Blog 2: www.theluckiestnomatterwhat.blogspot.com (parenting)
Find the highlights from our conversation at the timestamps below:
- 0:57 – Kristin describes her current teaching role in a 6th grade integrated English and Social Studies classroom.
- 2:04 – She talks about her passion to provide students with the widest variety of reading materials possible.
- 5:11 – We discuss Kristin’s greatest sources of passion in education today: voice and choice for students, genius hour, going gradeless, feedback based on standards, and building classroom cultures of revision and growth.
- 7:57 – As a mother of four boys and a teacher of even more, Kristin enjoys reading about boys’ development. She also doesn’t hesitate to suggest books for others.
- 11:12 – Her recommendations on Twitter are @JoyKirr and @kttasch.
- 12:56 – For edtech tools, Kristin points to the amazing communication and representation features on Seesaw. Follow @Seesaw for more information about what is possible on this LMS.
- 13:47 – One book that has been an absolute game-changer for Kristin was Classroom Habitudes by Angela Maiers (@AngelaMaiers on Twitter).
- 14:45 – Her podcast pick is Teachers Going Gradeless. Follow @TG2Chat for more information about the podcast, blog, and the amazing work around assessment happening on this platform.
- 15:46 – On those late nights and early mornings with a sleepless baby, Kristin enjoys reruns of Friends or The Crown.
- 16:40 – We sign off on the conversation and Kristin tells us the best ways to follow her online. See above for details!
Song Track Credits
- Intro: Relax (by Simon More)
- Outtro: Starley – Call on Me Remix (by DJ Zhorik)
Listen to this episode on YouTube and subscribe for more episodes!