Who is Shannon Schinkel?
SHANNON SCHINKEL is an inclusive BC high school drama teacher, progressive assessment maker, part time actor, blogger, and reader. She is also the creator and administrator of two Facebook groups: Beyond Report Cards and Humanities Zone. You can follow Shannon on Twitter @DramaQueenBRC and on her blog at https://mygrowthmindset.home.blog.
Questions, Topics, and YouTube Timestamps
- 1:20 – Who is Shannon Schinkel? Tell us a little bit more about your current CONTEXT and work in education.
- 3:04 – Before we go any further, how are you doing these days? What has your headspace been like, and what does PANDEMIC LEARNING look like in your context?
- 4:48 – It’s STORY TIME. Please share with us about a low moment or an experience of adversity that you’ve faced in your teaching or education career, and describe how you overcame it.
- 11:25 – How can educators shift student thinking and language away FROM grades to be earned TOWARD learning and proficiency to be developed?
- 17:27 – Is a PASS/FAIL model of assessment and reporting possible or even desirable in K-12 education?
- 19:32 – Let’s talk about BEYOND REPORT CARDS, your legendary Facebook group that now boasts almost 1,400 passionate educators and continues to grow. What fuels your passion for the area of assessment in education today?
- 23:58 – Josh Ogilvie (@JoshOgilvie4) on Twitter, a teacher in Burnaby, BC, asked this question: “How can we help teachers develop and use sound and ALIGNED assessment and grading practices?”
- 33:08 – And here’s a question from our mutual friend and rock star in BC education, Rose Pillay (@RPillay1) on Twitter. She asks “How can teachers OUTSIDE of your district benefit from your work, words, wit & wisdom? Beyond the blog, beyond Twitter.”
- 36:35 – We are living and working in an incredible time for the planet and for education. Do you feel like we are on the brink of an assessment REVOLUTION in North America?
- 41:55 – As you look across your PLN and your own practice in the remote learning environment, what is setting you ON FIRE about education today?
- 44:42 – How are you looking to GROW professionally and improve your practice right now? Can you share about a specific professional goal or project that you’re currently working on?
- 51:07 – Outside of education, what’s another area of LEARNING for you? Tell us why this area interests you and why you enjoy it.
- 53:55 – Share about an app, personal habit, or PRODUCTIVITY hack that contributes to your success and helps you do everything that you do.
Voices and Resources That Spark Shannon’s Thinking
- On Twitter: @MonteSyrie – https://twitter.com/MonteSyrie
- EdTech Tooks: FreshGrade – https://freshgrade.com + Dropbox – https://www.dropbox.com
- Book Picks:
- 1. Hacking Assessment: 10 Ways to Go Gradeless in a Traditional Grades School by Starr Sackstein
- 2. Softening the Edges: Assessment Practices That Honor K-12 Teachers and Learners (Using Responsible Assessment Methods in Ways That Support Student Engagement) by Katie White
- 3. Kids These Days: A Game Plan For (Re)Connecting With Those We Teach, Lead, & Love by Dr. Jody Carrington
- Podcast: Five Moore Minutes – https://fivemooreminutes.com
- On Netflix: The Crown + Fleabag (on Amazon Prime)
- On Twitter @dramaqueenbrc
- On Instagram @DramaQueenBRC
- On Facebook at Beyond Report Cards
- On Facebook at The Humanities Zone
- On her blog, My Growth Mindset
Connect with Teachers on Fire
- On Clubhouse @TeachersOnFire
- On Facebook at the Teachers on Fire Group
- On Instagram @TeachersOnFire
- On LinkedIn at Tim Cavey
- On Medium at the Teachers on Fire Magazine
- On TikTok @TeachersOnFire
- On Twitch at the Teachers on Fire channel
- On Twitter @TeachersOnFire
- On Voxer @TeachersOnFire
- On the Website – Home of Teachers on Fire
- On YouTube at the Teachers on Fire channel
Subscribe to the Teachers on Fire podcast on your mobile device
- On Apple Podcasts: https://apple.co/2ozOTRb
- On Google Podcasts: https://goo.gl/iA6swC
- On Anchor: https://anchor.fm/teachersonfire
- On Spotify: https://spoti.fi/2QkF2KW
Song Track Credits
- Sunrise Drive by South London Hifi*
- Anthem by The Grand Affair*
- Roots of Legend by Density & Time
- Jane Fonda by The Grand Affair*
- *tracks courtesy of the YouTube Audio Library